December 29, 2015 is National Pepper Pot Day. Pepper pot was created on December 29, 1777. During the Revolutionary war, the Continental Army had a surprisingly harsh winter and the soldiers were low on food. The baker general, Christopher Ludwick, gathered all the food he could find to feed the soldiers. He was able to find tripe, meat, and peppercorn, and mixed it all together with other seasonings to create pepper pot, “the soup that won the war.” To celebrate this thick, spicy soup, visit one of the restaurants listed below.
The Soup Cafe in South Orange offers soup, sandwiches, and salads. Some of the most popular soups are pepper pot, gungo peas, and red peas. They are open Monday through Friday from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm, and Saturday from 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm. For more information, call 732-900-6857.
House of Soup in Newark specialized in Brazilian and international soups. For more information about hours and menu items, call 973-901-9411.
Atlanta Bread has locations in Brick and Toms River. They offer sandwiches, salads, soups, and pastries. They also do catering. The Toms River location is open Monday through Friday from 6:30 am to 9:00 pm, Saturday from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm, and Sunday from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm. The Brick location hours include Monday through Saturday from 7:00 am to 9:00 pm, and Sunday from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. To contact the Toms River location, call 732-240-4110. To contact the Brick location, call 732-451-1400.
December 29 is also Still Need To Do Day and Tick Tock Day.
One little factoid I thought was interesting: the word “restaurant” comes to us through a bowl of broth. The French used to sell a “concentrated, inexpensive soup” called a restaurant (i.e., restorative) in the 1500s, which was billed as a cure for exhaustion.
1. Loaded with healthy fats, fiber and various important nutrients.
2. High in potassium, which should support healthy blood pressure levels.
3. High in monounsaturated oleic acid, a “heart healthy” fatty acid that is believed to be one of the main reasons for the health benefits of olive oil.
4. High in fiber, about 7% by weight, which is very high compared to most other foods. Fiber can have various important benefits for weight loss and metabolic health
5. Numerous studies have shown that eating avocado can improve heart disease risk factors like Total, LDL and HDL cholesterol, as well as blood triglycerides.
6. One dietary survey found that people who ate avocados had a much higher nutrient intake and had a lower risk of metabolic syndrome
7. Studies have shown that eating avocado or avocado oil with veggies can dramatically increase the amount of antioxidants you take in.
8. High in antioxidants, including Lutein and Zeaxanthin. These nutrients are very important for eye health and lower the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts.
9. Some studies in isolated cells have shown that nutrients in avocados may have benefits in preventing prostate cancer, and lowering side effects of chemotherapy in some cells.
10. Studies have shown that an extract from avocado and soybean oils can significantly reduce symptoms of osteoarthritis.
How The Soup Cafe uses avocado
1. Avocados are used in our Spicy Tuna Avocado & our Jerk Chicken Salad & Sandwich
2. We keep only a limited supply of avocados on hand and replenish our avocado supply every morning to ensure freshness. Avocados cannot be frozen and tend to have a very short shelf life.
3. Our avocado dishes are only prepared to order.
5. This summer Soup Cafe introduced the "Avocado Boat" on our "Spring into Summer" seasonal menu. These are fresh avocados cut down the middle and stuffed with your choice of topping. Our customers will have their choice of grilled shrimp, jerk chicken, spicy tuna or crab salad.
Plantains are best described as green counterparts of rich, ripe yellow bananas. Although they look similar to bananas, they are actually quite different and unlike bananas, plantains have to be cooked to be eaten. In many tropical regions, including the Caribbean, plantains are considered a staple and a reliable source of starch in many households. Many people are unaware but plantains are actually a natural super food that provides a wide variety of health and nutritional benefits.
Here are 10 health benefits of plantains:
How The Soup Cafe uses plantains?
1. Plantains are the one staple that is used in most of our sandwiches and salads.
2. We bake our plantains instead of frying to cut down on the grease.
3. Our plantains are only prepared to order and can be ordered as a side dish.
4. We use only the sweetest plantains fresh from the market each week.
5. This summer Soup Cafe will introduce the "Plantain Boat" on our seasonal menu. These are sweet plantains cut down the middle and baked to delicious perfection and then stuffed with your choice of meat or vegetables. Our customers will have their choice of grilled shrimp, grilled chicken (spicy or mild), codfish, cooked vegetables or anything else we can think of.
Soup is a quick, hot meal that offers plenty of health benefits. In addition it s quick and easy to prepare, you can literally throw a variety of ingredients into a slow cooker in the morning before you leave for work or school and return home to a delicious meal in the evening. The healthiest soups include fresh, low-fat ingredients and a minimum of salt and extra fat. Soup is the one dish that lends itself to serious experimentation.
1. More vegetables - The American Heart Association recommends adults consume eight or more servings of fruits and vegetables every day. That's 4 ½ cups. Soups can contribute to that total. Almost any vegetable lends itself to use in soup, from creamy squash or tomato bisque to vegetable beef or chicken vegetable soup. Add fresh or frozen vegetables to canned soups to increase the servings of vegetables and add flavor.
2. Packed with nutrients - Soups made with beans and lean meats such as fish provide lean protein. Beans also give you fiber. Tomatoes are a good source of lycopene, an antioxidant that may help reduce the risk of cancer, particularly prostate cancer, according to Penn State University. Vegetables in soup contain many vitamins, such as A and C. Cream soups supply calcium and vitamin D.
3. Fewer calories - Most soups, if made with lean meat, are low in fat, making them a good choice for anyone concerned about fat in his diet. Use fat-free broths and lean meat to reduce the fat content of soups. Use skim instead of whole milk for cream soups; or, replace milk with pureed white beans to thicken soup. To further reduce the fat content of your soup without sacrificing flavor, chill it and skim off the fat before reheating and serving.
4. Filling - Because soup contains so much water it fills you up with fewer calories. When *Barbara Rolls, Ph.D., conducted research at Penn State University, she discovered that students who ate chicken and rice soup instead of a chicken and rice casserole, consumed fewer calories yet reported being equally satisfied.
5. Cools you down on a hot day - Studies has shown that drinking a hot beverage on a hot day actually can cool you down.As you might imagine, consuming a hot drink does add heat to your body, but that heat actually increases the rate at which you sweat, which can help cool you off. Scientists believe that thermosensors lining the throat and mouth might be what triggers the sweating response.
* Author of the book "The Volumetrics Weight Control Plan" which explains how eating soup and other high-volume, low-calorie foods can help you lose weight.
Did you know that records of the first types of soups date as far back as 6,000 BC? And that the main ingredient was the hippopotamus? Strange but it’s true.
Every culture have their own types of soup and soup is the most common dish on dinner tables all over the world. Some are thick, some are thin, some are spicy, some are served with crackers or bread. Some are even served cold.
Below are the 43 most famous soups from around the world, did your favorite make the list?
The origin of the term chowder is obscure. One possible source is the French word chaudière, the type of cooking/heating stove on which the first chowders were probably cooked. Another possible source could be the French dish called chaudrée or chauderée which is a sort of thick fish soup from the coastal regions of Charente-Maritime and Vendée.
The phonetic variant chowda, found in New England, is believed to have originated in Newfoundland in the days when Breton fisherman would throw portions of the day's catch into a large pot, along with other available foods. Fish chowder, corn chowder, and clam chowder continue to enjoy popularity in New England and Atlantic Canada.
Other sources quote chowder as having its roots in the Latin word calderia, which originally meant a place for warming things, and later came to mean cooking pot. It is also thought to come from the old English word jowter (a fish peddler).
A simple dish of chowder, in the past considered to be "poor man's food," has a history that is centuries old. Vegetables or fish stewed in a cauldron thus became known as chowder in English-speaking nations, a corruption of the name of the pot or kettle in which they were cooked.
Today different kinds of fish stews or chowders exist in almost every sea-bound country in the world.
The Soup Cafe serves four versions of delicious chowders, below........
Manish Water is a goat soup in Jamaican cuisine. It is believed to be an aphrodisiac and is made from various parts of the goat. The pieces of goat are seasoned with local herbs and spices, and cooked along with vegetables and 'food' - yam, potato, bananas and dumplings.
Manish Water is traditionally served to a groom on his wedding night. The term Manish Water is said to be because of the soup's propensity to make men horny meaning to "Man Up" or make the man more "Man-nish". Often referred to as the Jamaican Viagra, Manish Water is also considered a treatment for infertility
The dish is believed to have inspired the Rolling Stones with the name for their Goats Head Soup album. Some of the album was recorded during the early 1970s while the band was relocated in Kingston, Jamaica's Dynamic Sound Studios.
Some visitors to The Soup Cafe have reservations when the dish is first described to them, but once they are served this delicious Ram Goat soup, they soon realize that it is a lot better than it sounds and they keep on coming back for more.
A new restaurant has opened in the South Orange Village Center. The Soup Cafe opened Friday morning at the former Eclectic Cafe and Catering space at 61 Academy Street, next to Harusame Japanese Cuisine. The Soup Cafe serves a variety of Caribbean style soups and sandwiches made to order including Smoky Jerk Chicken and Manish Water.
"The inspiration for The Soup Cafe comes from the genuine love of the world's most beloved comfort food, soup", said manager Nadia Dale. "Our team worked for months on a unique concept for our cafe and came up with perfect combination of authentic Caribbean and Classic American soups".
The restaurant is open Monday through Saturday from 11:00am to 4:00pm.
Send story ideas and photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Twitter - @PlaceNJ
Article by Jared Kofsky / Essex County Place at 3:59 PM